Julien Vehent on 18 May 2011 08:31:00 -0700

[PLUG] Growing a LVM volume with striping

I asked that one serverfault, but I figured the PLUGers might have some ideas as well.

I'm considering using LVM striping over several EBS volumes. So let's imagine the following case: Volume group DATA is created with 3 physical disks sdf1, sdg1 and sdh1. I create a logical volume "store" inside DATA and enable striping on this, with 3 stripes and a stripesize at 128KB so I split my blocks across the 3 physical volumes.

Now, I want to add a 4th physical volume to grow the size of the volume group and logical volume. I add my physical volume to DATA, increase the size of "store" and change the number of stripe from 3 to 4.

What happens to my "store" volume ? Do the previously existing blocks get re-organized ? Otherwise, if my 3 previous physical volumes were full, only the 4th one will be used to store the new blocks, and there would be no striping.

Julien