Art Alexion on 24 May 2011 05:53:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Microsoft's many eyes?

On May 23, 2011, at 10:55 PM, Stephen Slaughter <steve2slaughter@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm just curious if the
> ubiquitous cliche about Linux's alleged superiority in terms of fewer
> bugs, better security, and more code review is true?
>
> Please provide some evidence or link me to some impartial analysis on
> the subject.  I'm really trying to get to the bottom of this issue,
> and I don't want to just take someone's word for it.

Stephen,

You may as well be asking for proof of the existence (or non-existence) of God.

Those of us who believe strongly in the open source model believe that open source software benefits from more eyes, especially more eyes that lack a financial or political interest. (and I mean company or community politics, not electoral or ideological politics)

The article you cite actually shows a growing maturity in Microsoft's understanding of open source. The prior FUD focused on the vulnerabilities in open source which they argued was the result of the exposure of the code. They now seem to understand the open source argument, and have begun disputing facts.

I have used open source software for more than a few years, and work closely and support a number of Microsoft systems. I don't buy the malware "big target" argument as the major explanation for Microsoft's vulnerabilities. The evidence does not support it.

--
Art Alexion