Rich Freeman on 3 Jun 2011 13:24:16 -0700

Re: [PLUG] VoIP setup

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Julien Vehent <julien@linuxwall.info> wrote:
> We want around 30 parallel lines, and do the convertion VoIP to analog
> __before__ it leaves the office (no hosted PBX or anything like that, we
> don't trust the network bandwidth enough, it's just a basic DSL there).

So, I know next to nothing about VoIP except for some tinkering at
home with Asterisk.

But, if you REALLY want 30 parallel lines, is bandwidth really a
problem?  I would think that for the cost of installing 30 business
analog lines you could easily upgrade that IP connection to something
more substantial than DSL.  Plus, I would think that an IP-based
infrastructure would be much more flexible (easier to add lines, pay
for what you use for outgoing calls, when you aren't 100% saturated
you have that much more bandwidth, etc).  30 lines is what, the
equivalent of a T1 or two?  I would think that the cost of a real
network link with a serious SLA is probably cheaper than paying that
many landlines.

I'm definitely interested in what some of the VoIP pros around here say.

Rich