Matt Mossholder on 8 Jun 2011 16:47:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ftp on Linode

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Eric at Lucii.org <eric@lucii.org> wrote:

That would be great.... thanks.

I have also noticed that Proftpd has a configuration option to restrict access
by IP address:

(example cited from:
 Âhttp://www.proftpd.org/localsite/Userguide/linked/app-config.html )

<Directory /web/zsl>
 Â<Limit ALL>
   ÂOrder Allow,Deny
   ÂAllow 195.200.31.220
   ÂAllow 212.32.17.0/26
   ÂDeny ALL
 Â</Limit>
</Directory>

Eric

On 06/08/2011 07:19 PM, Michael Lazin wrote:
> You can do that with a .ftpaccess file. ÂI can send you the syntax when I'm in
> the office tomorrow if you like.
>
> On Jun 8, 2011 7:05 PM, "Eric at Lucii.org" <eric@lucii.org
> <mailto:eric@lucii.org>> wrote:
> I /have/ to set up ftp on a linode server for a customer to transfer files. To
> prevent the inevitable script kiddie attacks I'd like to restrict ftp to a
> single IP or an IP range.
>
> I don't see any "here's what we recommend for ftp" type of documentation on
> their site. Is there an ftp server that allows IP restrictions as part of it's
> configuration or do I have to set up a firewall with iptables?
>
> Any other recommendations/advice/tips for ftp servers?
>
> Eric

- --
# ÂEric Lucas
#
# Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â"Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth
# Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings...
# Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â-- John Gillespie Magee Jr

And failing those, you could always use iptables, PAM restrictions, etc. to get a similar effect.

          --Matt