Art Alexion on 5 Jul 2011 17:43:53 -0700

Re: [PLUG] VMWare Control

On Jul 5, 2011 7:05 PM, "jeff" <jeffv@op.net> wrote:

> On 07/05/2011 06:50 PM, Mike Leone wrote:
>>
>> On 7/5/2011 6:43 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:
>>>
>>> Vcenter requires ESX if I recall correctly. It's the control app for LARGE VMw installs.
>>

>> vCenter is the controller app.
>

> and a real pig, whether running two or two hundred machines.
>
> There are some less mature and less piggy apps but I have to find my notes.  Nothing as robust, though.

vCenter loads slowly, but runs quickly enough. It should be on a server running nothing else. I think there is only a Windows version, though ESX / ESXi is bare bones Linux.

I echo Michael. Don't run it in a VM. Otherwise, how do you bring up your environment if your controller is down as well.

It is very mature application and does far more than control VMs. Hosts, clusters, storage, etc.