Conor Schaefer on 10 Jul 2011 05:43:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Volunteering

I recommend she head to GitHub and search projects there for two qualities: interesting to her, and within her skillset (what language the project is in can be a big barrier, for instance). It is not a bad approach to use Google to search for project ideas and try to find someone, or a group of people, who has started work already.

If your friend claims she enjoys programming, then surely she must do it in her free time. Tell her to follow that passion and find a collaborative project that results in code she herself really wants to use. The trouble with getting hired thus far is understandable. It's not just the bad economy, but also the lack of independent projects in her portfolio. I would no more hire a developer without projects than I would a musician who's never composed, but states that music is fun.