Rich Freeman on 10 Jul 2011 06:23:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Anonymous BT?

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Conor Schaefer
<conor.schaefer@gmail.com> wrote:
> About BitTorrent over Tor and no anonymity:
> https://blog.torprojectorg/blog/bittorrent-over-tor-isnt-good-idea That
> article also links yo an older post about how BT traffic unfairly overloads
> the network for others.

As far as I can tell every attack on that page relies on a BT client
that leaks information or bypasses tor.  I see a simple solution to
this - don't give the client any information to leak, and don't let it
bypass tor.  If the client doesn't have access to the external IP
address, then it can't leak it.  If the client can't communicate to
anything but the tor proxy, then it can't bypass tor.  Just put the
client on a NATted network with careful rules and in theory those
attacks won't work.

The attack that they don't mention is DNS leakage, which is also a
concern.  You need to also block the client's access to DNS and force
that to go over the proxy, but that gets tricky since only certain
proxy protocols allow this and not all clients support them.

The main advantage of tor is that you get access to everybody who is
running non-anonymous BT, which you don't get with any of the other
protocols as far as I can tell.

Rich