Julien Mills on 12 Jul 2011 11:14:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Dell Linux boxes

Yes I was just browsing through the Higher Edu portal.  N series are there but they don't make it easy to find them.  I did see the Optiplex 990s, was able to configure them with FreeDos.  Not cheap though.

at $WORK we order lots of the dell n-series through the higher-ed portal,
though even through there, they're usually pretty tough to find. The last
round, we bought the Optiplex 980 SFF
Claude

On 11:28 Tue 12 Jul     , Gavin W. Burris wrote:
> The Dell nSeries is a great Linux desktop option.  Please note that
> newer revisions of the OptiPlex require a more up-to-date version of
> Linux, like EL6:  RHEL / CentOS / Scientific Linux 6
>
> With EL5 distros, the newer Intel audio will not work, and the newer
> Intel video will lock the system randomly.
>
> Cheers.
>
> On 07/12/2011 10:45 AM, Austin Murphy wrote:
> > At least through the HiEd portal you can still get OptiPlex "n-series"
> > models with FreeDOS.
> >
> > Austin
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Julien Mills <julienfmills@yahoo.com
> > <mailto:julienfmills@yahoo.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     So after procrastinating forever I finally ordered one of the only
> >     Dell desktops that comes with Linux, an XPS 7100.  A few days later
> >     I get an email with the following:
> >

> >     Unfortunately weâre unable to process your Dell Order
> >     *2002766769578*as the product you have ordered is no longer available.
> >

> >     Maybe it's for the best.
> >

> >     Dang, I'm ready to go to System76.  A while back Dell used to sell
> >     boxes for Linux which came with FreeDOS or ForDOS, as far as I can
> >     tell they don't even do that anymore.

> --
> Gavin W. Burris
> Senior Systems Programmer