Rich Freeman on 22 Sep 2011 15:58:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Windows 8 secure boot would 'exclude' Linux

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 5:47 PM,  <tomdf@verizon.net> wrote:
> Typical microsoft:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/21/secure_boot_firmware_linux_exclusion_fears/

I have mixed feelings about this.

Secure boot is actually a good thing - as long as it is secured FOR me
and not FROM me.  As long as I can control the keys in my BIOS I'm
fine with it.  What I don't want is a system that only boots an OS if
the vendor certifies it.

People who buy hardware should be able to install the software of
their choosing on it, and they should be able to replace public keys
embedded in the firmware to support this.

Otherwise secure boot is fine - with the right software this can
result in a linux install that can't be easily tampered with.

Rich