jeff on 12 Oct 2011 20:27:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Need to recover an external HD

On 10/12/2011 11:12 PM, Amul Shah wrote:
My father-in-law unplugged his external USB drive from his Windows laptop without unmounting it ("Remove Hardware" in Windows parlance). Now every time he tries to plug it back in Windows says that he needs to reformat it.

It's been years since I've had to recover a HD and I haven't the slightest idea what tools to use. I don't know if the disk is formatted with NTFS or FAT. I'll have his Windows laptop and my Linux box available to run a recovery. Any pointers on software recovery tools are appreciated.

photorec/testdisk - multi-platform

try plugging into a real OS first.

--
-----
the new home of ThermionicEmissions - the blog