Rich Freeman on 13 Oct 2011 10:15:43 -0700

Re: [PLUG] verizon dsl static external address

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Ron Kaye Jr <rekaye1005@verizon.net> wrote:
> do i contact godaddy (sold me ronaldkaye.net) to associate this ip (external
> interface on linksys router) with my domain name?

You need to contact your DNS server provider for this - that might be
godaddy or somebody else.  If it is godaddy I have no idea if they
actually will let you control your DNS records or if they just point
it at a parking page so that they can make money from their ads on
your domain.

Right now your DNS is provided by "Special Domain Services, Inc." -
which seems to be associated with godaddy.

You can contract DNS from anybody you want to or even run your own,
although you'd need to have a static IP on the box you use to run DNS.
 If you choose a different DNS provider you need to provide godaddy
with the addresses of their nameservers so that they can point your
domain to them.

In my case I obtain DNS from my registrar because it is free and
decent, but I picked my registrar with that in mind.  However, it is
common to obtain registration and DNS services from different
companies.

Rich