sean finney on 14 Oct 2011 04:12:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Need to recover an external HD

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 09:21:05PM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:

> Was dd_rescue renamed gddrescue?  If not, then there are three. I remember
> having good luck with dd_rescue.

no they're two different projects.  i (fortunately) haven't had the need
to use it since the latter one became popular, it's supposed to have
a superset of the features and in most respects be better but have no
experience with it.

The old dd_rescue has a nice option (-A iirc) that will shrink down the
I/O request sizes when encountering errors, and replace the resulting
bad sectors with null padding instead of skipping them.  I think the new
gddrescue might do this by default, but you should check on that if you
do see I/O errors, so offsets and the like are more likely to continue
being correct consistant, and just a few files end up getting corrupted
instead of the entire filesystem being unreadable.

	sean