Lee H. Marzke on 18 Oct 2011 12:34:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Hardware upgrade question

I've had many of these external USB enclosures have their hard disk fail
at client sites or  at my house.   ( 2 different manufacturers )  I think all
these low cost devices USB are unreliable,  and poor cooling the HD is the
likely a major factor with the tiny internal fan.

There are many external eSATA enclosures and eSATA cards that
use generic drives that you might investigate.   eSATA is something like
6X faster raw data rate than USB 2

http://www.satagear.com/ has a bunch of inexpensive SATA enclosures
and SATA and infiniband (SATA x4) connectors ,  with a large efficient
fan in the 4 drive enclosures.

On the other hand I've had a ReadyNAS NV+ (4 disks)  and Thecus N8800
(8 disks)  that are on the higher end consumer devices of without any issues
at all,  and of course they can back up multiple PC's,  or even serve the
home directory via NFS.

Lee