Conor Schaefer on 25 Oct 2011 08:51:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] file container format

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Doug Stewart <zamoose@gmail.com> wrote:
Walt:
You're right, I did misunderstand.

The DVCS model/mentality is an intriguing one. It doesn't necessarily
cover the ToC problem but it does allow for easily packaging things
up.

I still use vc to manage complex stores of documents. I'm using Subversion rather than git (I know, I know) because it allows for timestamps on files to reflect the commit time, which is very handy when you're editing files and want to see at a glance (whether via ls or some GUI file browser) when the last time something was adjusted. Naturally git was all that information logged, but I like it visible in the filesystem, too.

How about converting all documents to PDF and concatenating them? Then you can add your own bookmarks as you see fit, whether by week, or month, or what have you.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Walt Mankowski <waltman@pobox.com> wrote:
> I think you've completely misunderstood Soumyashant's
> question. Markdown's main use is for generating new content,
> particularly blog posts. ÂHe's looking for a way to combine multiple
> PDF files into a single file, ideally with a combined table of
> contents. That seems to me to be a fundamentally different thing.
>
> I ran into similar issues when I was taking grad classes at
> Drexel. Rather than trying to combine everything into a single file, I
> used version control systems (first subversion, later git) to put each
> class into a single project. Under that project I stored the class
> syllabus, lecture notes, homework assignments, supplemental reading,
> and everything else associated with the class. ÂUsing a VCS let me
> track changes (useful since many of my classes involved programming
> assignments) and also made it easy to mirror the projects to my
> desktop, laptop, department servers, etc.
>
> Walt
>
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:29:19AM -0400, Doug Stewart wrote:
>> Have you considered Markdown?
>>
>> http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Soumyashant Nayak
>> <soumyashant@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Is there some container format where one can store pdf, txt, etc files
>> > together and navigate easily ?
>> >
>> > The reason I am asking this is , I would like all my professor's lecture
>> > notes to be in one file. The way I generally do it is append all of them
>> > using pdftk.
>> >
>> > But since there are no CONTENTS pages, I have trouble navigating. I would
>> > like to view the links of each lecture slide on the left of the document
>> > viewer.
>> > Also it would be nice if one could embed the source code examples (text
>> > files) into the file so that one can easily reference them off-hand.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Soumyashant
>> >
>> > --
>> > Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.
>> >

>> --
>> -Doug

-Doug