John Karr on 29 Oct 2011 15:19:29 -0700

[PLUG] Groupware Alternatives

I just ditched running my own Exchange Server. I'm looking for a
replacement of the Calendar and Contact Management pieces of it.

My email is migrated to Postfix/Dovecot/Squirrel with Sieve for
serverside mail filtering. For email I am very happy with this
configuration, and I expect over time that it will require less of my
time for maintenance and not eat up a virtual machine with 4 GB of RAM

When I was on Exchange Outlook was my Primary Mail client and Outlook
Web Access was my Linux Mail Client. I had access to Contacts and
Calendar wherever I could connect back to my Server, and they were all
synchronized.

Right now my contacts and Calendar are in Outlook, I can manually import
them to Evolution (Evolution as an application is inferior to Outlook,
and I don't think it is as easy to go the other way), but the only true
copy is the Outlook data file.

I'm looking for a means of centralizing my Calendar and Contact
Repository so that I can access it fully from all of my clients. I'm
continuing to resist giving all of my data to google, but I suppose I
should consider it.