Rich Freeman on 20 Nov 2011 12:20:19 -0800

Re: [PLUG] How to Find Most Used Files

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 2:53 PM, brent timothy saner
<brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3. THIS IS IMPORTANT: you MUST have the disk mounted with the "atime"
> option, otherwise you'll have to rely only on modified time in the find
> command (mtime). i believe noatime is now the default, which means
> atimes aren't updated.

There is a reason for that - updating atimes results in a LOT of extra
disk writes and a performance hit.  It potentially increases flash
wear as well if you have an SSD.  No real way to get around that with
this type of solution.

I could envision a program aggregating from lsof or something like
that, or using a file-alteration-monitor or direct accounting calls to
the kernel.  That wouldn't require quite as many updates since you
could flush the log once an hour or whatever.  I have no idea if such
a thing already exists though.

Rich