Matt Mossholder on 21 Nov 2011 07:43:32 -0800

Re: [PLUG] How to Find Most Used Files

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:

I'd like to get records of which files are accessed/read/written to the most over a period of time.

I'm not looking for which files are open at any one time, but rather which file has the most traffic to/from it over time.

Anybody know how to do this?

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence

The NerdWorld Organisation

http://www.NerdWorld.org

There is a SystemTap method to do this with specific processes here: Âhttp://sourceware.org/systemtap/SystemTap_Beginners_Guide/iotimesect.html

It isn't something that you could just run through cron though, it would need to be running constantly to gather the statistics. You might be able to modify it to trace all processes, but the overhead would be pretty significant, I would think.

  Â--Matt

      Â--Matt