Rich Freeman on 22 Nov 2011 19:55:58 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Recovering a FAT16 SD Card in an MP3 Player

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:34 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> But
> this time, it somehow nuked the boot sector.

The bizare thing is that there is no reason for anything to be writing
to the boot sector in the first place...

> I wrote the new boot sector and exited, and it told me I had to reboot,
> which was not true.  (Windows roots showing?)  I simply ran 'mount /dev/sdb
> /mnt' and there were all the songs again.  Nice!

Believe it or not I've actually seen this kind of behavior on linux
before.  I suspect it is more of an issue if you edit the boot sector
of a drive that you have filesystems mounted on (such as the drive
containing the root filesystem).  Fdisk will usually indicate whether
it successfully flushed all the caches.

Rich