Julien Vehent on 12 Dec 2011 13:25:35 -0800

[PLUG] Fwd: [plug-announce] Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011 - "Journey to the Center of the Linux Kernel: Traffic Control and QoS" presented by Julien Vehent (PLUG North@CoreDial in Blue Bell)

Hey guys,

Just wanted to add that this time, we might go a little bit more into the nifty details of DSL links, why they suck and how to fix them. If you have never heard of powerboost or bufferbloat, or if you wife yells at you because this torrent download is making her netflix freeze, there might be some interesting stuff in that talk for you.

I'm sure the folks at coredial will have some interesting latency stories to share as well :)

Julien

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [plug-announce] Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011 - "Journey to the Center of the Linux Kernel: Traffic Control and QoS" presented by Julien Vehent (PLUG North@CoreDial in Blue Bell)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:05:24 -0500
From: "Paul L. Snyder" <plsnyder@drexel.edu>
To: plug-announce@lists.phillylinux.org

  This month, PLUG North welcomes back Julien Vehent, who will be
  giving a presentation entitled "Journey to the Center of the
  Linux Kernel: Traffic Control and QoS".  Julien has previously
  given a version of this talk at PLUG Central.

    We will look into the QoS layer of Linux, talk about processing
    packets and managing queues, read a bit of C (although this is
    not my specialty) and play with TC and IPTABLES to prioritize
    traffic on web, email, bittorrent and whatever you like.  I
    will bring a test machine to do some demos.

  The meeting will take place on Tuesday, December 13, from 7-9pm (7-8
  General Q&A, 8-9 Presentation) at CoreDial:

  CoreDial (http://www.coredial.com/)

    1787 Sentry Parkway West
    Suite 100 (Building 16)
    Blue Bell, PA 19422

  Directions and other information are on our website:

    http://www.phillylinux.org/locations/coredial.html

  We request that you RSVP at rsvp@phillylinux.org if you intend on coming
  so we have some idea of how many to expect, but it is not required.