Matt Murphy on 14 Dec 2011 20:32:58 -0800

[PLUG] I have had time to consider and may now comfortably hate Unity.

I've been a consistent Gnome/Ubuntu user for 7 or 8 years now, and,
now that I've had a couple of months to let it sink in, I feel very
strongly that Unity and Gnome3 are mistakes.  Who wants a kiosk
interface for their desktop or laptop?  Touchpad, maybe.  But with a
keyboard, it's just horrible.  Apple envy is a terrible, terrible
thing.

So-called "Ubuntu Classic" is particularly infuriating.  What made
them think that we don't want a functional panel anymore?  XFCE is, as
always, very close to perfect execution -- I only lack something that
will keep that goddam trackpad's click settings from resetting every
time X restarts.  LXDE is very appealing (same problem with the
trackpad clicking), but I'm finding that the panel freezes when
executing some apps (if I don't do a nohup call to launch -- and it
can't survive a suspend operation without hanging).  KDE is, at long
last, slightly less of a lemon party than the current Gnome...
Congratulations, Trolltech, you have ascended the heights at last!
Enlightenment is actually rock solid (goddam touchpad issue, still) --
which sort of makes my head hurt...  Because E is supposed to do
whacky things -- burn your toast and squirt you with lighter fluid --
while Gnome is supposed to just work.  Which it doesn't anymore.  At
least not on Ubuntu.

What are users of Gentoo and other distros seeing in their desktops these days?