Rich Freeman on 28 Jan 2012 05:28:37 -0800

Re: [PLUG] VMware Workstation 8 review

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 4:32 AM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> So overall, I'm disappointed.  All the reviews I've seen have been great,
> but for me and the stuff I actually use, it's either the same or slightly
> worse.  And the stuff I really wanted (easy remote GUI console) is for my
> purposes not there. :-(

Yeah, at home I've been using virtualbox.  It is free so you don't
have to deal with limited features/etc.  No doubt for a datacenter it
might not be the best choice, but for testing different
configurations/etc it works fine.  It has the GUI, but also runs just
fine headless, and gentoo includes some init.d templates to use to
make it easy (just symlink a template initi.d and copy a template
conf.d where you set the VM name, uid, nice, etc).  So, I prep VMs
using the GUI and if one is a keeper for whatever reason I just set it
up to run headless.  If I forget about it and reboot the system will
pause it automatically (configurable with any of the power-off
options).

Sometimes the modules are flaky, but I've rarely had issues with that.

Rich