Pat Barron on 29 Jan 2012 09:57:57 -0800

Re: [PLUG] VMware Workstation 8 review

If you have a spare machine you can dedicate to it, VMware ESXi might be a better choice.  The only reason I haven't done a "server consolidation" at home with it is that most of my network is wireless, and ESXi isn't (as far as I can tell) willing to play on wireless LANs.

--Pat.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide

----- Reply message -----
From: "JP Vossen" <jp@jpsdomain.org>
Date: Sat, Jan 28, 2012 4:32 am
Subject: [PLUG] VMware Workstation 8 review
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>

I finally got around to installing
VMware-Workstation-Full-8.0.2-591240.x86_64.bundle.  Installation was
easy, but I'm a bit disappointed.  It really sounded like it could run
headless and GUI-less, and it certainly didn't install that way, and it
doesn't really seem like it will work that way either.

I was particularly interested to see how the "remote GUI" would work.
But as far as I can tell, you basically need more copies of Workstation
for that [1]...  I suspect the vSphere5 client might work too, but I
can't find that for free download and vSphere 4.1 doesn't work.  Aside
from the cost, I don't want to install a bunch of copies of Workstation
around and have them cluttering up the guts of other machines.  OTOH,
Workstation is itself a client to ESX, vSphere, etc. which is great news
for Linux folks who didn't want Windows just for that (Jeff!).

Also, while the interface is supposed to be cleaner, I think it takes a
couple of steps backwards.  First, Workstation 7 had a nice feature that
listed powered on machines at the top of the nav panel.  That is still
there, but now it's a toggle between "All|Fav|On" and I think that will
be annoying to switch around.  Second, the toolbars are less
configurable.  I had mine set to words, since the icons are not
intuitive to me.  That's gone.  Finally, while it is cleaner in general,
the summary view now contains a screen-shot, which takes up a huge
amount of room and is annoying and worthless to me.

So overall, I'm disappointed.  All the reviews I've seen have been
great, but for me and the stuff I actually use, it's either the same or
slightly worse.  And the stuff I really wanted (easy remote GUI console)
is for my purposes not there. :-(

[1] Remote access:

*
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2005585