Jay Dobies on 17 Feb 2012 06:07:16 -0800

Re: [PLUG] network choice from the application level

Suppose:

1. I have two applications running on an OpenSuse server.
2. This OpenSuse server has one NIC and two IP addresses.
3. There is a database server in the same network
    that has a *single* IP address.

Is it possible for the applications (PHP) to select which of the two
OUTGOING IP addresses it uses to talk to the database server?

The database people want the requests to come FROM a different IP
address depending on the particular application.

I think it's impossible.
I told them to get another IP address for their database server and
then I can do it :-)

Anybody know if it's possible?

Sorry I can't be of much help, but I'm curious why the database guys want that sort of setup. I've never heard of that sort of concept at the database level. Most environments I've seen will use firewalls to let you in and then database security credentials to secure the DB itself. I've never seen them merged like that.

--
Jay Dobies
Freenode: jdob @ #pulp