Fred Stluka on 25 Feb 2012 14:28:21 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Hacked server - recovery

+1

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- mailto:fred@bristle.com -- http://bristle.com/~fred/
Bristle Software, Inc -- http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!
Open Source: Without walls and fences, we need no Windows or Gates.

On 2/25/12 1:14 AM, Carl Johnson wrote:
dd if-jp_brain of-plug_list

:-)

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:45:04 -0500
From: Fred Stluka<fred@bristle.com>
Is there any advantage of fcheck over tripwire?
Pros and cons.  IMO, fcheck is a *heck* of a lot easier and faster to
set up so it removes a lot of the "that's a time-consuming, tedious
pain
so I'll do it later" inertia.  OTOH, it is arguably less secure than
some alternatives.  In theory I agree, but in practice, having
something
(fcheck) is hugely better than having nothing (I'll install Osiris Real

Soon Now).

Please go read the 3 slides in my preso, they have a bit more info like

this.

Also, logcheck over logwatch?
The goal is the same.  I haven't used logwatch, but I *think* the way
it
works is to look for stuff it knows and report that.  Can anyone
correct me?

Having said that, logcheck will blacklist known good stuff and tell you

about the rest, while I think logwatch will only tell you about its
whitelist.  Think about that for a sec, because in this context a
blacklist is good and a whitelist is bad.

Logcheck (http://www.logcheck.org/), on the other hand, is the
application of a concept that I also call "logcheck" for lack of a
better name.  My introduction to the concept was from Marcus Ranum and
Fred Avolio's 'frequentcheck.sh' for TIS Gauntlet, way back when.  See
also my old Windows port of this:
http://www.jpsdomain.org/windows/winlogcheck.html.  And I've yammered
on
about this before:
http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2009-03/msg00190.html.

The concept is simple.  Given some data (e.g., a log file):

1.1) Remove stuff you know you don't care about
1.2) Look for things you know you do care about, but then remove things

you don't care about (false positives)

You then get output in two parts:
2,1) Stuff you don't know about
2.2) Stuff that is known to be bad

Over time, you "tune" the #x.1 "stuff you know you don't care about"
list so you end up with only "known bad" output...until something novel

happens or upstream changes or adds log messages.

Do you see how simple yet awesome that is?  I can't say it's "self
tuning" since--hey, you have to write the egrep regular expressions
yourself, though if you 'grep' for stuff you can already do that and
there are lots of examples.  You never have to audit it to see what it
might be missing, it just evolves with your environment very
organically
and seamlessly.

The tricky part for doing this for a growing log file is to not miss
anything and no do repeats and there is a 'logtail' tool for that.
It's
a lot easier to do on a flat file after a complex build or other
verbose
process has completed.  I do this a *lot* and it's great.  There's a
trivial 'egrep' implementation in my Windows logcheck port above.

I'd do a PLUG preso on this, but it's only about 10-20 mins...  I've
also wanted to do a wikipedia article on it, I just never get to that.

Later,
JP
"Microsoft Tax" = the additional hardware&  yearly fees for the add-on