Jeff Bailey on 27 Feb 2012 17:03:08 -0800

[PLUG] VI without a swapfile?

Hey gurus...

Without getting into all the gory details, I have a loopback filesystem mounted (a file containing a filesystem) which is considered 100% full (according to "df").

I need to edit a file on that mount. "vi" complains about not being able to create a swapfile, but allows me to edit. The problem is that I can't save an edited version, even if all I do is delete lines. I think this stems from the fact that vi tries to save a backup copy, and fails since there's no room.

I've done some googling (and will do more), but does anyone know anything about preventing vi from creating a duplicate file (editing in place, or whatever you want to call it).

:set directory didn't help, :set backupfile wasn't recognized, "vi -n" didn't help.

Thanks for any info.....