Walt Mankowski on 28 Feb 2012 20:00:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] uptime bug in linux kernels

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:31:36PM -0500, Amul Shah wrote:
> This came up at work yesterday. A customer was notified by Novell that SLES 11 could hang or crash after the uptime exceeded 200 days. We've asked the customer to find out more details. Has anyone heard of this before?
>
> Giggling for uptime and 20 days turned up these two interesting links:
> http://serverfault.com/questions/336591/how-to-fix-bug-soft-lockup-cpu0-stuck-for-17163091968s
> http://barry.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/uptime-related-server-crashes/

I haven't heard of it, but it looks like it was fixed in the 3.1.5
kernel:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.0/ChangeLog-3.1.5

(Search for sqazi)

It sounds like it might be a good idea for them to schedule downtime
every 6 months until they can get the kernel updated.

Walt