JP Vossen on 29 Feb 2012 13:48:09 -0800

Re: [PLUG] VI without a swapfile?

Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 01:15:30 -0500
From: Jeff Bailey<skydiver38@verizon.net>

[...]
Turns out that cat smoked the original file, and then aborted due to "no
space on filesystem".  So, whereas vi wouldn't let me edit the file, cat
deleted it, then didn't store anything there (other than a 0 byte
file).  So, even though I was "cat'ting" a file smaller than the
original, the filesystem reported no room.  Interesting.

Wow, I'd have guessed that would be safe.

I *was*  able to solve it in a more round-about way (by editing the
source before it got built into the file which served as the
filesystem), and thanks again for all the input.

Now I'm really curious if 'ed' would have worked.

Thanks for the follow-up,
JP