Walt Mankowski on 19 Mar 2012 11:34:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] oops, ignore 1st email, linux math software

Octave may be "somewhat similar" to Mathematica.  I don't know; I
don't have much experience using it.  However, it is *very* similar to
Matlab.  It's essentially an open source version of Matlab with the
same language syntax.

However, in my experience it unfortunately can't be used as a
replacement for Matlab.  When trying to run matlab code in octave I
often ran into situations where some matlab function had maybe 6
different ways it could be called, but octave only implemented 4 of
them.  And of course I always needed one of the ones that wasn't
implemented.  Matlab also comes with a number of add-on toolkits that
do all sorts of interesting things, but which are only spottily
supported in octave.  I often found that 95% of things would work
perfectly, but the other 5% was impossible to get working at all.
Maybe things have improved, but I usually found that using octave was
an exercise in frustration.

Of course that was mainly in using other people's code.  If you can
get by with the subset that octave supports, you should be fine.

Walt