Douglas Muth on 22 Mar 2012 15:32:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] web server sending TCP reset

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Eric at Lucii.org <eric@lucii.org> wrote:

> A user of a site I'm developing is having connectivity problems and they started looking at their firewall logs.  They then asked the site owner why the site was sending so many TCP RESET packets.  So, he asked me.  I have no idea.... I've never heard of a web site sending TCP RESET packets... thought that was handled at a lower level.

Is the connection in progress or attempting to be established?  If the
latter, TCP RST packets are normally sent when a connection is
refused.  So if I try to connect to port 80 of a machine that's not
running a webserver, the traffic looks like this:

Me: TCP SYN
Them: TCP RST

Now if the RST is being sent in the middle of the connection then yes,
as someone else said, there's something upstream of you trying to shut
down connections that are in progress. Why?  That's a question for the
network hops between the two servers.

-- Doug