Ron Kaye Jr on 23 Mar 2012 07:59:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] PLUG W follow-up

 http://lifehacker.com/317125/set-up-vnc-on-ubuntu-in-four-steps

 Ron Kaye Jr
914-7294734

On 03/21/12, Amul Shah wrote:

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012, at 04:14 AM, JP Vossen wrote:

> After the preso Amul & I were talking about enabling VNC on Ubuntu
> 10.10. Using the GUI this would be System > Preferences > Remote
> Desktop, but he doesn't have the GUI, that's the point behind needing
> VNC in the first place.
>
> So from the command line via SSH:
>
> # As the user who owns the GUI desktop
> # This will show you the current settings
> $ gconftool-2 -a /desktop/gnome/remote_access
>
> # This will show only the ones we care about:
> $ gconftool-2 --get /desktop/gnome/remote_access/enabled
> $ gconftool-2 --get /desktop/gnome/remote_access/view_only
> $ gconftool-2 --get /desktop/gnome/remote_access/prompt_enabled
>
> # This will set them so that:
> # [x] Allow other users to view your desktop
> # [x] Allow other users to control your desktop
> # [ ] You must confirm each access to this machine
> $ gconftool-2 --set --type=bool /desktop/gnome/remote_access/enabled true
> $ gconftool-2 --set --type=bool /desktop/gnome/remote_access/view_only false
> $ gconftool-2 --set --type=bool
> /desktop/gnome/remote_access/prompt_enabled false

JP, I giggled up the same incantations, but they didn't work. For some reason
when I tried to start "DISPLAY=:0.0 /usr/lib/vino/vino-server" over the SSH
connection, it wouldn't work. Once I did "xhost +" from a root shell to worked.

When connecting from Mac OS X using the built-in VNC, you want to enable
the password [1] and set the password [2]

[1] gconftool-2 --set --type=bool /desktop/gnome/remote_access/prompt_enabled false
[1] gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/remote_access/authentication_methods vnc

[2] gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/remote_access/vnc_password $(echo -n 'password'| base64)

Even with VNC access, the bluetooth keyboard setup still isn't working. :(