JP Vossen on 30 Mar 2012 12:48:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] simple video edit - simply escapes me

Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:59:50 -0400
From: "Eric at Lucii.org"<eric@lucii.org>

Topical: http://jderose.blogspot.com/2012/03/cutting-with-novacut-1203.html

This may be too little too late but:

I've used GopChop from the Ubuntu repos for cutting commercials out of MythTV files [1]:
	gopchop - Fast, lossless cuts-only editor for MPEG2 video files

I think upstream is now unmaintained, but it's a pretty simple GUI to use rarely. It can only do MPEG2 and it can only cut on "Group Of Pictures" boundaries, but that was perfect for my use case. You wind through the video and give it start/stop pairs to tell it what to keep and what to chop, then save. It maintains closed captions correctly, and does no transcoding or anything, so it's fast.

I run it in my script like so, where $vid is obvious and the grep filters cruft out of the console messages:
gopchop -v x11 $vid 2>&1 | egrep -v 'pixmap",$|gop: Permission denied$|^$'

[1] It's easier to use the MythTV "cut list" feature for this, but I didn't know that at the time. A cut list for an episode will supersede commercial flags, so a cut list is useful a) to cut out commercials that were not flagged at all, b) to override incorrect commercial flagging, or c) to turn off commercial flagging for something that I GopChoped (e.g., create a cut list of 1 frame someplace you won't miss it).

Later,
JP