Rich Freeman on 31 Mar 2012 18:14:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] nmap(s) causing verizon westell dsl modem to hang

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Ronaldo Nascimento <sgtnasty@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice article, never heard of w3af before.

Hmm, need to run that against my site...

Still, I think the real lesson here is to install security updates.  I
would hope that current versions of Wordpress would be tested against
tools like this, and of course if you're running a more recent kernel
you should not be as vulnerable to escalation attacks.

Stuff like this makes me give thought to getting containers / hardened
Gentoo running.  I just have a feeling that getting that working
alongside MythTV might be troublesome.  My understanding is that with
some of the newer hardening models if you jail your servers then even
if you get root it won't get you very far.  Patches like grsecurity
prevent even a root process from breaking out of a chroot.  Of course,
you can still send spam/etc without even having root, and I doubt
anybody bothers to try to block arbitrary outgoing connections.

Not sure if anybody has been following systemd, but from what I've
read it makes it really easy to configure apps to run in a chroot/etc.

Rich