Rich Freeman on 2 May 2012 08:02:50 -0700

Re: [PLUG] go ahead and encrypt that HOME partition....

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I once thought encrypting a desktop computer was a good idea.  It was
> so easy.  So seamless.

As somebody pointed out, just another reason to do backups.

However, having to restore from backup can be painful, especially for
nice-to-have stuff that you don't want to backup, like all the shows
on my MythTV video directory (I'm not going to cloud-backup 400GB of
video files - I can afford to lose them, but really don't want to).

I wouldn't use any encryption system on a system I care about without:
1.  Having a fully-recoverable clear-text backup (that I've tested
periodically).
2.  Alternatively, installed myself and not just by checking a box somewhere.

If I install it myself I'd understand how it works, and make sure that
I retain my keys somewhere and tested my ability to mount the
partition from a rescue CD.

Bottom line is that before you store something on a filesystem, make
sure you know how to get at it when things go wrong...

Rich