K.S. Bhaskar on 13 May 2012 15:08:33 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
[PLUG] Can FOSS help school districts in trouble?
- From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <email@example.com>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: [PLUG] Can FOSS help school districts in trouble?
- Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 18:08:27 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:sender:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject :from:to:content-type; bh=EV6hOykb7plSmNkj2F6eTDdDDkwTtOc2pffqZ/RuFQI=; b=YKY82/JY8t3rxU8QCVBW8aWvXteO906WD4mVfUwWt5+YzVO/yWf5vlmcgsVdT+CAZf +rfnuOAcs1DpMSAbWvc/pUepbRfPJTU4UbBMj9wkfTSjndSAH/yCOByYWMtTo24oq7Ym rD515LydYMtf0COUCbzTDPFEYQp7LlODaYE46fHVWkjzASc72VMTfTdPh28PBDl7GQJu XSm6k+xswN7YZGrje8mLOBSL+V32mGzizEPH4qTiveW1FjzwhYBzKNNmJRZEt7w1ODYr aVeMk7R3kWVpsqgT/njamHUkKW/CJbBSPq4Kr6kx8pn2BLyV3t8Z+0hNQirlTIz/GAqY sgIg==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our local school district is in trouble. ÂNo, I am not thinking of their financial woes right now, although money certainly is at the heart of this evil. ÂWhen money was less scarce, they acquired with pride the latest technology - proprietary of course - some of it because the IT deparment makes selections on autopilot, some of it useful but not essential, and some of it downright wasteful and misleading. ÂNow that money is tight, the school district is considering demoting senior teachers instead of taking a long, hard look at the IT budget. ÂSo, the trouble our school district is in is ongoing woolly-headed decision making by the administration: they are still spending more money on IT than they need.
It being better to light a candle than to curse the darkness, I would like to help showcase free / open source software in K12 education, to control IT costs without compromising educational performance - indeed perhaps even to enhance the educational experience since FOSS does not set artificial boundaries as to what one can learn.
I think it makes sense to start with a single school, too impoverished to even think about serious IT spending, and then move to a suburban school district and then to the school district for a city ... on our way to world domination, of course! ÂThis is a journey, not a destination.
As much as solving technical issues, we need to document and publicize. ÂSo, from the start, we need to get the press involved. ÂWe need to blog about it and we need to be able to reach out to the public, Government and others to talk about it as it goes. ÂSo we need people with talent beyond technical skills.
To that end, this post is to see who shares my interest in such an endeavor. ÂThank you very much.
Windows does to computers what smoking does to humans
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug