Will on 14 May 2012 11:55:28 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] Can FOSS help school districts in trouble?
- From: Will <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] Can FOSS help school districts in trouble?
- Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 14:55:23 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=eRBpw04rgTnVcoPp2Bu4JpvQ+goZH9mUJVDyzMrJVfI=; b=fIuQe4ao5DCoG/CYGWzr5t9bDM3YWN4xMUNFoK++rnk0SZpYj4vFFP1iJJCchU//rt gSR4rVZFOxsDC6M1gcqwiPuYHBlj+CWDqmZz68tT3c/6ziAsfpdS+c5XRNnrCGGj1UER jmBF/tR8v8ikfvl2BRrwIyq5TeUDijIWq5r1hbjUjSOuskqgAlfi5GGn+HWdeonUJqQb 3BaNquXTpAmM1gJHkdL+5I5myNNvWZBHcoPKytiohonxBa48I2KuKZJ3YyfpdjlhEHAC qmiBxmFb5uGQElOTV/KRnQrloi+oMQ+a02v0PicxgyDPvPdt1P8uuzhpsBRdJqFNTX34 6EJg==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
Interesting comment from the MakeLV mailing list pertaining to linux in schools. Might be a great way to go in terms of support. Quoted text in a different color.
Just as an aside, Shawn Powers is a director of IT at a grade school (in Michigan I think) and is also the editor of Linux Journal. That seems like the kind of resources that may also be helpful. In previous ed environment I worked, we played with Linux Terminal Servers and they are incredibly economical in terms of initial setup and also much cheaper to maintain. They aren't as easy to setup on the front, but boy do they run solid and make great use of old hardware. At some point there was even a k12 focused distro called K12LTSP.
In other words, the potential is vast, it's been done before and as was mentioned, the issue is training more than tech.
If I had more time....
So, would anyone like to follow up on the Shawn Powers contact idea?
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM, jeff <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I often wish I could have been homeschooled. But then I would have missed out on being picked on for being smart and reading a lot. I wouldn't have nicknames like Brainiac and The Walking Dictionary (sometimes they shortened the last word). My parents would have had to send me out to be beaten up.
On 05/14/2012 12:18 PM, kbenjamin Coplon wrote:
(I’m a 17 yo homeschooler who has been using Linux on his desktop for ~3
Good times :)
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug