Will on 14 May 2012 11:55:28 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Can FOSS help school districts in trouble?

Interesting comment from the MakeLV mailing list pertaining to linux in schools. Might be a great way to go in terms of support. Quoted text in a different color.

Just as an aside, Shawn Powers is a director of IT at a grade school (in Michigan I think) and is also the editor of Linux Journal. That seems like the kind of resources that may also be helpful. In previous ed environment I worked, we played with Linux Terminal Servers and they are incredibly economical in terms of initial setup and also much cheaper to maintain. They aren't as easy to setup on the front, but boy do they run solid and make great use of old hardware. At some point there was even a k12 focused distro called K12LTSP.

In other words, the potential is vast, it's been done before and as was mentioned, the issue is training more than tech.

If I had more time....

JSR/

So, would anyone like to follow up on the Shawn Powers contact idea?

-Will