Carl Johnson on 5 Jun 2012 17:21:32 -0700

[PLUG] CUPS headaches

I have a simple SAMBA/CUPS/VMware server setup for someone. Within
VMware there is a w98 virtual machine that runs an OLD piece of DOS
software. I have captured LPT1 in windows and pointed it to CUPS. The
problem is that this DOS software gives a "printer not ready error",
when I try to print from it more than once after SAMBA and CUPS are
restarted. The first print will go through fine and look just fine,
anything after that (barring a smb and cups restart) is a no go. The
fact that this happens makes me suspect SAMBA/CUPS. I've tried fooling
with permissions and such but that didn't help at all. Can anyone out
there in PLUG land help?

[root@fileserver samba]# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP1
        netbios name = Fileserver
        server string = file, print, and fax server
        interfaces = lo, eth0
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        security = SHARE
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        syslog = 0
        timestamp = Yes
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        smb ports = 139
        os level = 34
        preferred master = Yes
        ldap ssl = no
        disable spoolss = yes
        create mask = 0777
        force create mode = 0777
        force security mode = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        force directory mode = 0777
        force directory security mode = 0777
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.2., 172.16.19.

#this section is only to share the printer
printcap name = cups
disable spoolss = Yes
show add printer wizard = No
printing = cups

[printers]
comment = printers
path = /var/spool/samba
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
use client driver = Yes
browseable = No

[root@fileserver samba]# cat /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
MaxLogSize 2000000000
LogLevel debug
SystemGroup sys root
Printcap /etc/cups/printers

# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
DefaultAuthType Basic

HostNameLookups On

<Location />
# Allow shared printing and remote administration...
    Order allow,deny
    Allow ALL
</Location>

<Location /admin>
# Allow remote administration...
    Order allow,deny
    Allow ALL
</Location>

<Location /admin/conf>
    AuthType None
    Require user @SYSTEM
# Allow remote access to the configuration files...
    Order allow,deny
    Allow ALL
</Location>