JP Vossen on 26 Jun 2012 12:10:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Install VM and LAMP from script

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 08:23:12 -0400
From: Paul Walker<starsinmypockets@gmail.com>

I'm trying to spin up a development workflow for LAMP, which would involve
instantiating a virtual machine, installing config and dependencies and
integrating with version control using a deployment script.
[...]
...some suggestions for appropriate
tools - I'm thinking Virtual Box? I suppose that I could pull from an
Ubuntu distro, but I'm not sure how to get that into Virtual Box via
script? Any advice is appreciated.

If this is Ubuntu-ish, then Juju (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juju_%28software%29) is Canonical's vision of the future. (Hmmm, Juju'd be a good preso.) Your specific LAMP case is usually the use-case or example for explaining Juju. Note that many of the Juju examples reference "the cloud" but you do NOT need to really use the cloud, that's one of the benefits. It's intended to be a "write once, run against almost anything" DevOps tool, as I understand it. See also https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/MAAS.

Disclaimer: I've never actually used Juju, all I know about it is what I've read in various Ubuntu & Canonical blogs. But I do know that once they set their minds to something, they usually stick to it (e.g., Unity).

Having said that, I just read _Learning CFEngine_ and I liked it. It made a good case for *not* doing it via bash or Perl or whatever, but instead do the learning curve for an engine. I'd like a good CFEngine cookbook, and I don't see it, but I also understand the web site & docs are particularly good.

While Juju seems to be Ubuntu's future, CFEngine has been around for 20 years and is very mature and powerful. I'm going to be looking at it more. It's also C. Puppet and Chef are both Ruby, which is a minus for me since I *assume* that will pull in tons of Ruby stuff on an otherwise minimal system.

To close, I've usually done stuff like that in bash, but will be looking more into CFEngine for now (for CentOS $WORK stuff) and Juju in the future (for $HOME Ubuntu stuff). Maybe you can do a preso on your solution?

Later,
JP