Rich Freeman on 3 Jul 2012 07:51:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux upgrade issues

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Eric at Lucii.org <eric@lucii.org> wrote:
> So it is using almost 90% of RAM and almost half of the swap in "normal" conditions.
> Also, why only 3 GB of RAM?  I have 4 GB of RAM and thought that 64 bit systems would use ALL of it.
> [ Face palm... will run memory test at next reboot - probably before noon :-( ]
>
> Could this be related to a 64 bit kernel and should I just switch back to 32 bit?
> I'm thinking of trying the 32 bit version of Ubuntu 12.04 and adding KDE to get a usable GUI.
>
> Your thoughts and/or suggestions?

64-bit kernels shouldn't have much impact on memory use (some data
structures use more space, but it is a minor difference if you aren't
in some really crazy scenario).

Try running ps/atop/etc to figure out where that memory is going.
Also check /proc/meminfo for stuff like slab use.  Figuring out what
is wrong is a lot easier if you have some idea where the RAM is going,
but it isn't always obvious what the root cause is.

Rich