David Coulson on 8 Jul 2012 11:33:19 -0700

Re: [PLUG] So, That's it for Thunderbird

On 7/8/12 12:22 PM, Julien Vehent wrote:

Certainly not what a Linux Geek would do.
I'm a Linux geek, but I gave up running my own MX environment about five years ago. Wasn't worth the time/hassle, and gmail/google apps has superior spam filter and functionality than I care to support. Plus it's free, so that makes it even more appealing. I think I've had maybe an hour or two of outages in the last five years, if that.

Think more along the line of DIY postfix + dovecot. Some antispam (dspam is great, postscreen too). Any MUA (roundcube, mutt, thunderbird). And a MX record that points to your machine.
Presumably you are paying for a machine/VM/whatever somewhere with a static-ish IP address and inbound port 25 open?
Nothing hard. And definitely better than letting google (and others) read your emails.

You know email is unencrypted right? Unless you are using PGP/GPG or some other encryption tool, just assume everyone is reading it anyway.

David