Rich Freeman on 17 Sep 2012 12:35:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Look both ways before crossing the street - Red Hat, Twin Peaks

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Eric at Lucii.org <eric@lucii.org> wrote:

> This was a really uplifting read this morning:
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20120913073511444
>
> I'm so tired of the patent trolls.  If you really do something inventive then patenting it makes sense.
> If you repackage ideas from years ago then get over yourself and compete in the marketplace as
> equals instead of trying to poison your competitors with spurious patent claims.

Yeah, but the only reason there was even an chance for Red Hat to
mount a countersuit was that this company isn't actually a patent
troll in the purest sense.

Most patent trolls are holding companies that don't create software in
the first place, so they aren't capable of infringing anything.  This
company makes their own software, and it turns out that they violated
the GPL in the process.

That said, the patent system really needs to be reigned in...

Rich