Isaac Bennetch on 11 Oct 2012 08:04:16 -0700

[PLUG] Trouble opening files off CIFS; needs CPPFLAGS=-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64

Hi, I've recently run in to what appears to be a similar problem on
several software packages.

I'm using a relatively fresh install of Debian, having moved over my
installation from a previous install a few months ago. When I try to
manipulate files on a CIFS mount, I get error messages about not being
able to stat the file or that the open failed. If I export
CPPFLAGS=-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 and reconfigure and recompile, it
magically works. There's a bit of technical information at [1], but
basically he says you either need to build with that command or change
the sys_stat() call to sys_stat64().

In particular, the first tool was exiv2 and the second one is id3v2.
The Windows share permissions are correct, I can create, delete, edit
in place, and in general do whatever I want. So it very much looks
like this sys_stat() issue.

Am I doing something wrong here or is it just a coincidence that I'm
seeing several slightly broken Debian packages? Are these bugs in how
the Debian packages are compiled or some underlying issue with my
machine where I can make a change and never worry about this again?
(For purposes of this discussion, migrating the file share to a
non-cifs mount type isn't a good workaround; I'd rather just recompile
all the tools outside of Debian if it comes to that).

Thanks!
~isaac

1 - https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/24808?opened=4276&status[0]=