Rich Freeman on 13 Oct 2012 18:20:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Looking for Open Source Cloud File Storage Program

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Michael Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
> I really like my Google Drive. Seconded.
>
> Not open source, of course, but not everything is.

Well, if you drop the open source bit, there are a bazillion
alternatives out there.

However, I for one am a bit annoyed that the whole cloud movement
seems to be largely devoid of FOSS.  Oh sure, much of the
infrastructure is open source, but most of the applications are not.

If I want to use FOSS web-based email my choices are Roundcube and
Squirrelmail it seems.  Neither really competes well with Gmail.

I've looked for FOSS equivalents to dropbox/etc, and have generally
come up short.  The best I've been able to do is using scp or WebDAV.
Neither are really a great solution to the whole
access-from-nothing-but-a-browser standpoint.

I'd love to see a Javascript implementation of NX as well.

Rich