JP Vossen on 13 Dec 2012 21:52:41 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Cinnamon desktop?

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 16:22:13 -0500
From: "Eric at Lucii.org"<eric@lucii.org>

Did you try Cinnamon?  What was your experience if you did?

Yes, I upgraded my main workstation to Ubuntu 12.04 + cinnamon-1.6.7-0ubuntu1~precise1 and so far I am quite happy. It is very similar to the Gnome2 layout I built a lot of habits around, while still being more modern.

In particular you get SUPER-L+<start typing> to run commands, just like Unity or Gnome shell or whatever. But it only finds commands, it doesn't search elsewhere (it especially doesn't send my search strings to Canonical or Amazon!). I'm not sure what the default search thingy would be, I'm still using my previous Recoll install.

I miss the Gnome clock's light/dark map and multiple time-zone clocks (though not enough to actually do anything about it). The Weather indicator is a little buggy, but at least it doesn't constantly crash like the one in 12.04 Unity.

Oh yeah, the ALT-TAB switcher is a zillion times better than whatever crappy one I was using in Ubuntu 10.04, and I like it a lot more than the Unity one too. (Yeah, I know I can change it, I tried in 10.04 and didn't like any of them. I think I tried in 12.04 Unity and didn't like any either.)

And the controls to specify where the windows controls (-_x) are is great too. They are back on the right where they belong, though I admit I see the point of having them on the left when so much mouse activity happens up top-left. On Unity it works for me, here I like 'em where they were.

Otherwise, things are basically the same except better, which for me is perfect and just what I wanted.

Later,
JP