Floyd Johnson on 9 Jan 2013 14:59:21 -0800

[PLUG] "playing nicely with others"

Dear PLUGgers,

I've a heterogeneous LAN at home:Linux and Windows. I'm fairly confident that my personal machine (the Linux box) had its firewall correctly configured when I installed the OS, but am almost terrified of using one of the Windows boxes to test websites I had a part in making. Although I don't see any signs of trouble, I have it in my head that malware could've more easily gotten onto the Windows rigs by others' incaution or a malefactor's brute force.

I imagine you guys have similar LANs either at home or at the office, and my question for you is, "How do you gain the level of confidence with the Windows machines' security that you have with that of the Linux boxen?" For instance, is there a no-nonsense protective suite you recommend?