Rich Freeman on 24 Feb 2013 10:42:20 -0800

Re: [PLUG] framebuffer

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Eric at Lucii.org <eric@lucii.org> wrote:

> I thought all Linux systems had a framebuffer but apparently not(?)

(Setting aside the fact that all video cards have a framebuffer...)
Framebuffer console support is a kernel configuration option.

> In my SME Server 8 system (based on CentOS 6/Red Hat) there is no frame buffer device.  How do I do a do a screen capture of the console without fbdump (or equivalent)?

Easiest way to do that is with screen - screen can dump its scrollback
to a file, or let you select/dump regions of scrollback.

You can also cat /dev/vcs* - I'm not sure if that gets scrollback or
not.  Also, your kernel doesn't necessarily have a software scrollback
buffer.

For the really brave I guess you could directly read the video card
memory.  :)

Or you could just enable one of the various CONFIG_FB options in your
kernel.  It might already be compiled in but simply not enabled.  I
forget how to switch modes from the command line but it can be done
from a kernel boot option as well.

Rich