Rich Freeman on 1 Mar 2013 15:48:11 -0800

[PLUG] FIOS / HDTV / Myth/etc

Has anybody gotten non-OTA HDTV recording working on FIOS with MythTV
(or a similar linux-based solution)?

Right now I'm just recording SD from set-top boxes.  I'm thinking
about trying to record HD instead.

Theoretically my options are:
1.  HD tuner boxes and firewire capture.
2.  HD tuner boxes and component+audio capture.
3.  HD tuner boxes and HDMI capture.
4.  Cablecard capture.

#1 and #4 are a bit at the mercy of Verizon from what I understand -
if they set a flag it will turn off firewire or a compliant video
capture device.

I'm not sure what kind of quality to expect from #2, but assuming the
tuner box has component out that could be an option.

I'm not sure if any linux-compatible devices support #3.

Options #1-3 also require controlling a tuner box - I'm not sure if
the current FIOS ones support serial commands or if they have standard
RS232 ports.

The cheapest option would be cablecard if that works - rental is lower.

Thoughts?

Rich