Eric Lucas on 8 Mar 2013 12:12:06 -0800

[PLUG] Booting from a RAID partition?

I have a Red Hat 5.x box with RAID (software) mirroring:
Two drives, sda and sdb

/dev/md0   /boot      (/dev/sda1  and /dev/sdb1)
/dev/md1  /             ( /dev/sda2  and /dev/sdb2)
/dev/md2   <swap>     ( /dev/sda13 and /dev/sdb3)
/dev/md3  /home      (/dev/sda4  and /dev/sdb4)

When I remove sda and replace it with a blank drive (partitioned and
formatted) the system is unable to boot.
I get the normal grub menu but after hitting the return key I get:

>  root (hd0,0)
>   Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd
>  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6..18-164.el5 ro root=/dev/md1 rhgb quiet crashkernel=64M@48M
>
>  Error  15: File not found
>
>  Press any key to continue...

When I remove sdb and replace it with a blank drive (partitioned and
formatted) the system is unable to boot - it tries the CD/DVD device
and then just sits there... no grub.

I expect that RAID mirroring should work with only one drive.... isn't
that the idea?
Should it NOT boot from a RAID drive but instead just have two
identical /dev/sd0 boot partitions NOT in RAID?

TIA
Eric