Lee H. Marzke on 17 Jun 2013 14:10:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] FreeNAS vs. Debian for my simple home NAS

My info below is based on NexentaStor community,  FreeNAS is similiar.

If you use the newer FreeNAS, it's based on ZFS.

You want a LOT of RAM,  perhaps 8G or more.  The extra
RAM is used for ARC read cache.

Not sure USB drives work, and they are slow.  External drives
should be eSATA. HW RAID controllers need to be shut off as
ZFS is software RAID.

ZFS requires a Mirror or RAID configuration.   so with only
2 drives ( RAID-Z2) you'll lose half your capacity.  OK it may
not force you to mirror,  but ZFS is designed assuming all your
vDEV's are at least two physical devices with optional spare.

Note:  A ZFS NAS is really designed for 2 boot disks and 8 data disks or more
with optional SSD for read cache and ZIL.   If you try and run it
with low memory and 2 spindles,  not sure how well that will work for you.

I'd suggest sticking with non-ZFS solutions for this.