Sam Gleske on 1 Jul 2013 12:12:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu Debian updates/ rebooting question

Also, I prefer to use the command like so...

./wasted-ram-updates.py pids

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Sam Gleske <sam.mxracer@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm more of a RHEL user on servers but here's my 2c.

In addition to what others have stated (kernel and dbus) I've found that glibc usually requires a reboot as well since so many things depend on it.

Here's a good tip for what services need to be restarted after a non-reboot update....

https://github.com/sag47/drexel-university/blob/master/bin/wasted-ram-updates.py

I use that to determine which services must be bounced.  You should read the full comment doc at the top of the script to understand its intended purpose.  I would also recommend reviewing the source code so that you understand in more detail exactly what the script is doing.

It can be noted that a lot of times you can use a combination of "lsof | grep deleted" and the "cat /proc/PID/cmdline" or "cat /proc/PID/comm" file to determine that without using the script.  The script definitely makes it easier though.

SAM