Tim Allen on 10 Jul 2013 06:15:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] https Certificates Question

While you're shopping, also consider whether a wildcard certificate would be in order. For example, if you own python.org, a wildcard certificate would cover docs.python.org, developers.python.org, pip.python.org, etc. It can save you a lot of money down the road if you plan to have a lot of subdomains. This was especially helpful to us in a University setting; we now get a wildcard cert for 3 years rather than single year certs. It saved us a ton of money by only having to update our certs every three years instead of every year, not to mention being able to use the same cert across the organization, and avoiding the purchasing process as well for each sub-domain. That was a huge time sink for us.

As for XP/IE6, W3Schools only sees 0.1%, but take that with a grain of salt considering the web site's audience:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_explorer.asp

We regularly examine our own logs so we cater to our users, and we see 2-3% usage depending on the month. Most of these computers seem to be in University labs, where the user has no control over upgrading browsers.

Regards,

-Tim